Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dill Pickle Popcorn

(picture credited to southernwhimsicality.blogspot.com)

Oddly enough, today I was having an "All Grown Up" (the "Rugrats" all grown up) marathon, and after about an hour and a half of watching the quirky antics of Dil Pickles, I started craving dill pickle popcorn.  Go figure. Nothing makes me more impressionable than nostalgia. (Seriously, I eat things just because my grandmother liked them.)

Popcorn and I have a very torrid love affair. My typical solution would be to head down to my local gourmet popcorn store and buy a snack size bag for $3.25 including tax. Not bad, but when I get there, they always have these specialty popcorns that cost more and I just have to have them. Next thing I know, I'm walking out of there $13 lighter. The same feelings that come up when I step in a sandwich shop have starting creeping in, and I decided, "Hey, I'm smart. I have a kitchen. I can figure this out." I did, and IT WAS FABULOUS! So here is my dill popcorn recipe. I had all of this stuff in my kitchen, so once again, I'll spare you the shopping list.


Recipe
  • 2 quarts popped popcorn (I followed the directions on my bag of kernals. It filled my medium saucepan that hold 2 quarts.)
  • 2 tbsp. of vegan butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. of dill pickle juice
  • 2 tbsp. of dried dill
  • 1 tbsp of garlic powder
  • salt and pepper

1. Whisk together the butter, pickle juice, dill*, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
2. Stir the popcorn into the mixture and ensure that all kernels are coated.
3. Season with salt and pepper
4. Enjoy!

*To bring the some of the flavor out of the dried dill, rub it between your (washed) palms and then put it in the bowl. This is a general rule when you're using any dried herb. It brings it back to life just a bit.

I hope you guys try this. If you let me know you like it, I might share the coveted birthday cake popcorn recipe I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment