Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Flax Egg

(photo credit: veganbaking.net)
Flax eggs are my go to egg replacer because they are super cheap and easy to do. I always say to buy the flax seeds whole and grind them yourself to ensure that the oils that are released to not have time to go rancid. This is simple to do either in a coffee grounder or a high power blender. I use the smaller cup blending attachment for my Ninja, and the powder comes out super fine. I do them in batches of about a half a cup at a time, and then place them in a snack size ziplock bag and store them in the freezer.

There are multiple ways of doing this. I will go over 3 of my favorite methods. They all use the same ratio of 1 Tbsp. of ground flax seed to 3 Tbsp. of water for one flax egg. Multiply to fit your recipe. There's no need to separate them out, so make all that you need at once.

The Fast Sure Fire:
  • Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan.
  • Add ground flax, and stir until mixture thickens. This should take 1-2 minutes.
The Long Fool Proof:
  • Whisk together the water and the ground flax. Let sit in the refrigerator until the egg settles. 15 minutes minimum, but it will sit better at an hour.
The Tricky Quicky:
  • Use warm water and combine it with the ground flax. Let sit for five minutes. This works for things that are quick cooking, such as anything you throw in the microwave. 
The result of the first two are an extremely goopy substance, akin to that of egg whites. The third one produces at thicker sort of liquid. I hope this helps. Happy baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment