Monday, May 14, 2012

Vegan Taco Pizza


This recipe comes from Cadry's Kitchen and all pictures have been taken from there.

I LOVE PIZZA!!! What kind, you ask? All pizza...well meatless pizza. This has been by far the hardest thing to forgo since giving up my beloved cheese. There's something about the warm crust and gooey cheese with all the delicious toppings that calls my name: "Whitney, eat me. Gain pounds. Pounds of joy."

Let me tell you that I was tickled pink to find this vegan taco pizza. The flavor is amazing, and it is beyond easy to throw together. I knew this was definitely a recipe I wanted to share with you all. Cadry's brilliance must be enjoyed by all! I make two pizzas at one time so the hubby and I can have left overs. Most pizzas come two to a pack, so that is totally a viable option for anyone. Once while making this I ran out of tomato sauce, so I blended together a can of tomatoes with green chilies, and it came out pretty wonderful and had a bit of extra zest. One can was enough for about 4 pizzas, and is a bit more cost effective if that is a concern of yours. While the pizza is mostly build to your own taste, there are just a few basics things that I recommend you do to have a wonderful pizza experience, so I have included them in the recipe.

Shopping List by Department


Produce (choose these based on what you do and don't like. I used them all. Yum!)
  • 1 tomato 
  • 1 onion 
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • baby bella or cremini mushrooms (They're not particularly Mexican, but I can't envision life or a pizza without them.)
  • 1 lime
Dry Foods 
  • black beans
  • can/jar of olives (black or green is up to you. I prefer black)
  • marinara (or the tomatoes with chilies blended as discussed above)
  • Vicolo cornmeal crust, or any vegan pizza crust or dough you get your hands on.
  • Garden of Eatin Pico de Gallo or Nacho chips (this is a great brand!)
Spices
  • garlic powder
  • chili powder
  • ground cumin
  • cayenne

Recipe
  • 1/2 can black beans, rinse and drained
  • 1 Vicolo cornmeal crust
  • A few spoonfuls of marinara 
  • Garden of Eatin chips, crumbled (About 4 or 5 chips will do)
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 c. onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped (I love cilantro, so I use much more)
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1/4 c. red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 c. green bell pepper chopped
  • 1/2 c. sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
  • 1/4 c. sliced olives
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne (add more if you like it hot)
  • juice of 1 lime
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Top the cornmeal crust with marinara and black beans.
3. Sprinkle the spices over the black beans.
4. Add chopped onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and olives. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pizza from oven and add cilantro, tomato, and avocado.
6. Squeeze lime juice over pizza making sure to hit the chunks of avocado (this helps preserve the color)
7. Add chip crumbs, and enjoy. If you like add your favorite Mexican hot sauce to top it off. I always add a few splashes of Valentina.

Tip:  If you're going to be saving leftovers, only add the avocado and the chips to what you will be eating right away. The avocado may turn brown and the chips will get soggy if left overnight. 


1 comment:

  1. Call me a dork, but I love colorful food! Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete